Yesterday after seeing a note in the The Deep Creek Times, about an AP story on ice fishing at Deep Creek Lake which ran on washingtonpost.com where you can read the story here. I posted some photos I have shot in the last few years of the fun things you can do at Deep Creek Lake when the lake is frozen.
The fun to be had on the frozen lake is just half the story in Garrett County, Md. Even more wonderment and winter joy await you at Swallow Falls State Park where the falls can freeze up after a long cold spell. The parks includes four sets of water falls. The biggest, Muddy Creek Falls, is shown in my photo above and in my photos below. (please see more photos and text below)
The year these photos were taken the falls were near a full freeze which does not happen all the time. I have seen photos a good friend of mine took of these same falls where it was almost completely frozen all the way across.
The falls alone make for dramatic images but I always try to get people in my photos whenever possible. Having people in the shots provides scale and shows how magnificent in size the falls are.
The bottom photo is interesting but without a person you really do not get the sense how tall these falls are.
Want to see some of viewers’ favorite photos that ran on this blog in 2013? Please Check out 2013 ISBAA Top 40 Survey
Exposure tip : Keep in mind when you are shooting a scene that is almost predominantly white, you will want to add a stop to a stop and a half to your exposure if you want the back ground to be properly exposed.
For more information on Swallow Falls State Park, please click on Swallow Falls.
Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a happy and safe New Year’s Eve.
- Anglers Tackling Ice Fishing On Deep Creek Lake (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Cool Thought on a Warm Day (Winter Edition) (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Community – Birds (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Md. Property Values Increase For The First Time In Years (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Officials propose wind farm at Deep Creek Lake (times-news.com)
- Wordless Wednesday : The Visitors (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Deep Creek Lake on Ice (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Group wants non-native species laws strengthened (times-news.com)