Deep Creek Lake on Ice: Part II Frozen Falls

photographing the fallsYesterday after seeing  a  note in the  The Deep Creek Times,  about an AP story on  ice fishing at Deep Creek Lake which  ran on washingtonpost.com where you can read the story here. I posted some photos I have shot in the  last few years of the fun things you can do at Deep Creek Lake when the lake is frozen.

The fun to be had on the frozen lake is just half the story in Garrett County, Md. Even more wonderment and winter joy await you at Swallow Falls State Park where the falls can freeze up after a long cold spell. The parks includes four sets of water falls. The biggest, Muddy Creek Falls, is shown in my photo above and in my photos below. (please see more photos and text below)

Deep Creek Images by Robert Paine - 33

The year these photos were taken the falls were near a full freeze which does not happen all the time. I have seen photos a good friend of mine took of these same falls where it was almost completely frozen all the way across.

The falls alone make for dramatic images but I always try to get people in my photos whenever possible. Having people in the shots provides scale and shows how magnificent in size the falls are.

The bottom photo is interesting  but without a person you really do not get the sense how  tall these falls are.

Want to see some of viewers’ favorite photos  that ran on this blog in 2013? Please Check out  2013 ISBAA Top 40 Survey

man dog falls

Exposure tip : Keep in mind when you are shooting  a scene that is almost predominantly  white, you will want to add a stop to a stop and a half to your exposure if you want  the back ground to be properly exposed.

For more information on Swallow Falls State Park, please click on Swallow Falls.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you have a happy and safe New Year’s Eve.

Cheers, Rob

Would you like this beautiful 30x10 panorma photo of the lake on your wall? Please email robpaine@deepcreekimages.com for ordering instructions. This unmounted print can be yours for just $50 which includes shipping and handling. Photo by Rob Paine, Deep Creek Images, copyright 2014 Rob Paine

Would you like this beautiful 30×10 panorma photo of the lake on your wall? Please email robpaine@deepcreekimages.com for ordering instructions.
Photo by Rob Paine, Deep Creek Images, copyright 2014 Rob Paine

1. […] Deep Creek Lake on Ice: Part II Frozen Falls […]

2. […] Please be sure to check out my recent post on frozen water falls Deep Creek on Ice Part II . […]

3. vastlycurious.com January 4, 2014 at 12:09 am

Amazing! Acuriousgal had some too. First I’ve seen these frozen falls!

4. awesome waterfall…the first and second photos show the size of the water fall well!

5. Thank you for the tip. We are expecting a lot of snow over the next few days. I usually do it using spot metering, but that’s another way. You do amazing work. I’m awestruck.

6. Your photos are certainly quite breathtaking, they make you stop and give nature the thought it deserves. Nice way to end 2013, have a very happy New Year.

7. Great photos…love people who wear red! 🙂

8. Just beautiful, Rob!!! I’ll be posting some Minnehaha Falls pics soon!!!

1. thanks,and I look forward to seeing your falls photos soon barb!

9. […] Deep Creek Lake on Ice: Part II Frozen Falls | I see beauty all around by rob paine […]

10. That is an amazing shot! Wonderful tips!

11. People in bright red jackets are twice as nice. Beautiful!

1. that is for sure, really provides a stark contrast to the all white background. Happy New Year, Rob

12. Impressive ice falls and pics!

13. Great photos, and thanks for the tip on exposure!

1. sure, glad to help! And thanks for your nice comment. Happy New Year!

14. Wow, really impressing, so cool ice patterns:)

Freelance Outer Banks Documentary Photographer, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Avon, North Carolina