Garrett County, Md., has a very flourishing agricultural community. Around Deep Creek Lake there are miles upon miles of beautiful farmland along with some fabulous barns that come in all shapes, sizes and colors. But there is no barn that has more character and distinction than the structure in the photo above, located on Mayhew Inn Road, not too far of off Route 219 (Garrett Highway) (please see more text and more photos below)
In the roughly eight years I have been coming to Deep Creek Lake this barn has been a constant fascination for me. Its weathered boards has survived hundreds of feet of snowfall including last fall’s violent Superstorm Sandy whose heavy winds and wet snow crippled the area and brought down too many trees to count.
The day after my first art festival last Saturday, I rose with the sun and drove to Swallow Falls State Park but as usuaI made a stop to photograph the barn in its golden hour glory.
I photographed it from every angle I could without jumping a fence. Even plopped down in the middle of the road to shoot the top super wide angle image that included Mayhew Inn Road’s double yellow line for an unusual point of view. I would not recommend this as a practice except for it was very early in the morning and the car traffic was at a minimum. The only startling thing at this time of day was when a cyclist walked up behind me. He stopped too and took out his cell phone camera to get some shots.
After we chatted he sped off and he added a nice human perspective to one of my barn images.
From my viewpoint, it looked like the roof of this landmark was a little more concave than it was a year ago before Sandy.
This old barn is like all of the other wonderful things in life that you really need to appreciate before it is gone or totally abandoned.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual Point of View – Savageman Triathlon (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Deep Creek Lake Sunset (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Carefree Deep Creek Lake Style (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Bikers in Motion in Garrett County (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- A note on Photography on Local News Web sites (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- The Fog that Got Away (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Unusual Point of View : Casselman River Bridge (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- My First Art Festival! (iseebeautyallaround.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Masterpiece (iseebeautyallaround.com)